Monday 21 January 2013

I Just Pretend


The Higher State really do have a surfeit of great melodies.  It's actually mean of them not to share just a few of them with the other similarly mid-60s fixated groups.  Their new 7" for 13 O'Clock Records was in my postman's sack the other day and it's another prime chunk of Byrds inspired folk rock.  For added period artefact authenticity it has one of those push-out centres for jukebox owners.  Of course, there's no way I'll be pushing it out - that would be like slashing a Bridget Riley painting.  It's exciting to note from this picture that their lineup has been enhanced with the young king of all things '66, Paul Messis (front right), and...er...Austin Powers.  Fans of The See See should be particularly enamoured with what they hear, below.


When I hear these loving recreations of the best of 60s music, part of me wants to have another go at donning the old Breton fisherman's cap, parka and winkle-pickers.  Then I remember that the last time I tried that my colleagues took great delight at singing "In The Navy" and "Y.M.C.A." whenever I walked by.  Philistines!

(It's available from the group's ebay store.)

No comments:

Post a Comment